Silky Smooth Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding - Easy


You know that friend you have ... the one that's dairy-free or gluten-free or "only uses range-free eggs" (no, I'm not talking about you ... it's that ...  other ... friend).  Have I got a a mad-easy chocolate dessert that everyone can enjoy!


I used to think that an amazingly silk-smooth dairy-free chocolate pudding was an impossibility.  Yeah, I've tried making pudding with buttery-smooth avocado -- try it, you can't even taste the avocado -- my vegan friends insist.

Sorry, I could still taste the avocado.  Like chocolate-covered guacamole. And not in a good way, either.

Anyway, I was still on the lookout for edible dairy-free chocolate pudding.  No eggs ... something I until now was absolutely sure was necessary for that rich flavor.  But it was 5:30pm with company practically walking up the driveway.  Zero time to run out for eggs.  Or Egg Replacer.


Then I remembered bookmarking a recipe from the NY Times, where tofu replaces the milk AND the eggs.  And uses barely a half-cup of chocolate.

I once made a vegan pumpkin pie with tofu  You could make out little bits of white amongst the other ingredients.  Plus it also was a bit gritty.  So with not a little trepidation, I jumped into the recipe.  And surfaced 5 minutes later with an amazing silky-smooth dairy-free chocolate pudding that tastes as if it were made with real cream.  And eggs.


The only thing it was missing was tofu grittiness.  Because silken tofu is magic.  Regular tofu results in gritty and maybe some nitty to boot.  Which might be why that vegan pumpkin pie tasted like sand.  


 Silky Smooth Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding - Easy
Adapted from The NY Times
Yield: 4-6 dessert-bowls, or 8-12 shooter/shot glasses

1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1 (12.3 - 14 oz.) pkg. silken firm tofu, broken up
8 ozs. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips (plus additional for garnish)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)

In a 2-quart saucepan, stir sugar into the water.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves completely. Remove from heat; cool for 5 minutes on heat-safe surface


Add chocolate to sugar water.  Set aside for 2 minutes to let residual heat do most of the work, then stir until chocolate is completely melted.


Add remaining ingredients except some chocolate chips for garnish.  Using a hand blender, blend until completed smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.


Divide mixture among 4 to 6 dessert dishes, or a pile of shooter or shot glasses; chill for at least 30 minutes.   If making in advance, cover and refrigerate up to 4 days.


Garnish with additional chocolate chips, if desired, before serving.

Comments

  1. I'm going to try making this for Brent when he visits. It sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taste first and judge if it needs the cinnamon. I prefer just 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (a whole teaspoon is overpowering to me) but some would rather leave it out completely. If Brent and his band play nearer me I'll even make a batch for them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.