Creamy Carrot Bisque


I thought a bisque was just a smooth, creamy soup.  But I just finished researching (and by reasearching I mean googling) and discovered that a bisque is defined as a smooth creamy soup made with shellfish.    So this vegetarian-friendly starter really should have been named Bisque-esque.   

But the photos were ready with its original name.  And I was lazy under a self-imposed deadline.  So the name remains.


Most of my other onion-based soups begin with a light caramelizing of the onions.  But this version has the allium sauteed in bouillon.  I thought that there would be a loss of flavor, but as you can see (and I could taste) it worked surprisingly well.

The original recipe suggests using your favorite non-dairy milk, but since I planned to pair the soup with grilled cheese, I went with real dairy ... skimmed evaporated milk to boost the richness a tad without adding more fat to an already rich lunch. 


Creamy Carrot Bisque
adapted from Joy of Kosher
Yield: 2 servings

Comments